Why Do Christmas Timber Value Extra This 12 months?

0
538
Why Do Christmas Trees Cost More This Year?

The doctoral committee’s efforts to talk about living trees may also have helped. A 2020 report by a consultant found that a board marketing program, along with economic growth, likely had a “significant impact” on spikes in demand for pruned Christmas trees from 2016 to 2019, creating family memories. The slogan: “It’s Christmas. Get real. “

Christmas trees are grown across the country, but production is concentrated in North Carolina, Oregon, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Washington.

Ms. Gray said it would be wise to buy her live tree by mid-December instead of waiting until the days just before the holidays when supplies could run out. “Don’t wait until December 19th,” she said.

Buyers may end up with a different tree size or species than they chose in the past. “Be flexible,” said Ms. Gray.

Prices vary depending on the geography and size of the tree. The median price for a living tree in 2019 was around $ 77, according to survey data from the association. It’s hard to say what the typical price is now, but “prices are not going to go down,” said Ms. Gray. When prices at a retailer are steep, she advised “poking around”.

Harold DeLucia, owner of NYC Trees, said he was able to source only 70 percent of his supply of Fraser firs, a popular Christmas tree, from his North Carolina supplier. He got the remaining 30 percent from other suppliers who sell balsam fir. He said he had assigned the Frasers to his online customers and will primarily sell balm in many squares in the Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan. (Prices start at $ 139 for a package that includes a four-foot tree, shipped and installed, with the stand and apron; the flat rate is $ 70 for the tree only.)

Buyers considering fake trees may find that bargains are rare too. Retail prices for artificial trees could be up to 25 percent higher than last year due to supply chain disruptions, said Mac Harman, CEO of Balsam Brands, a seller of high-quality artificial trees, and the American Christmas Tree Association, a nonprofit trading group focused on concentrated artificial trees.