South Korean submarine arrives in Canada for joint drills

0
3
South Korean submarine arrives in Canada for joint drills

A South Korean Navy submarine has arrived at a port in Canada to take part in joint exercises with the Royal Canadian Navy, as South Korea continues its efforts to secure a major Canadian submarine contract worth around 60 trillion won ($39.6 billion), News.Az reports, citing Yonhap.

The 3,000-ton ROKS Dosan Ahn Chang-ho submarine entered the Esquimalt naval base, Victoria on the country’s southwest coast on Saturday (local time) after a journey of around 14,000 kilometers via Guam and Hawaii.

According to the Navy, it was the first trans-Pacific voyage ever undertaken by a South Korean submarine.

This was also the first time that the submarine completed such a long-range mission. It had departed from the naval base in Jinhae on March 25.

A 3,100-ton frigate, the Daejeon Frigate, accompanied the submarine during the journey. Two Canadian submarines accompanied South Korean crew members on the final leg of the journey to Victoria, Hawaii.

The South Korean Navy said the mission demonstrated the ability of domestically built submarines to conduct extended, long-range operations.

“It underlines the operational capability of the submarine, supported by the high-quality living conditions on board and the reliability of its systems and equipment,” the Navy said.

The trans-Pacific deployment comes as a South Korean industrial consortium consisting of Hanwha Ocean Co. and HD Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., in partnership with Norway, competes with Germany’s Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems for Canada’s planned fleet of up to 12 conventionally powered submarines. A final decision on the successful bidder is expected in June.

Earlier this month, South Korea’s Industry Minister Kim Jung-kwan met with Canadian Foreign Minister Melanie Joly and Canadian Energy and Natural Resources Minister Tim Hodgson in Ottawa to discuss the submarine project and seek support for the South Korean bid. He previously visited Canada in January and March to promote the proposal.

Chief of Naval Operations Kim Kyung-ryul and Lee Yong-cheol were scheduled to attend a welcoming ceremony for incoming Royal Canadian Navy ships on Monday (local time).

Before arriving, Kim Kyung-ryul held talks in Ottawa with Vice Admiral Angus Topshee, chief of the Royal Canadian Navy and designated future deputy commander of the Canadian Armed Forces.

During the meeting, Kim emphasized the operational performance of the South Korean-built submarines and said Seoul would provide full support if Canada selects a South Korean submarine for the project.

The ships will participate in joint exercises with the Royal Canadian Navy before joining the U.S.-led multinational Rim of the Pacific exercise in Hawaii in late June. They are then expected to return to South Korea.

News.Az

By Nijat Babayev